About Us: The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI’s mission – to inspire the inventive genius in everyone – is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences. The Museum of Science and Industry provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students and teachers in science and science-related disciplines, with a vision to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering and medicine.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI’s garage and more! If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you!
The Job: The Director of IT will lead our hardware, software, help desk, system integrations and data center management teams to deliver technological excellence. Beyond the day-to-day management of the IT department, this role is key to the long-term success of MSI through responsibility for overall operational effectiveness of our information technologies, and continuously contributing to building a technology-savvy organizational culture.
- Develop and maintain an IT department structure with the appropriate mix of business knowledge, technical skills and competencies that balance the needs between growing the agility required to achieve business objectives and ensuring the core IT functions are reliable, stable, and efficient.
- Lead IT strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of IT systems across the organization to insure flexible and effective systems are in place to support our business needs and future growth.
- Create, review, and certify all back-up and disaster recovery procedures and plans.
- Identify and produce metrics which support productivity measurement and employee utilization levels.
- Foster an environment committed to exceptional service for internal and external customers.
- Act as the point of contact with business stakeholders, ensuring strong relationships are built and maintained to maximize opportunities for IT to support efficient and effective business operations.
- Lead collaboration efforts across departments and practice groups to advance practice efficiencies and enhance both guest and internal customer service, including facilitating the more effective use of existing technology, developing innovative technology service and products and safeguarding assets (information, IP, Collections).
- Provide direction and oversight for all IT functions including:
- Enterprise Architecture
- Infrastructure and Operations
- Data Management
- Disaster Recovery
- Change Management
- Vendor Management, Software Licensing and Maintenance Agreements
- Foster and manage relationships with key external partners. Oversee competitive bid processes and negotiate effective supplier contracts.
- Identify emerging information technologies to be assimilated, integrated, and introduced within MSI’s infrastructure.
- Develop the annual IT expense and capital budgets. Carefully manage spending throughout the year to ensure adherence to budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in technology or related field or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of digital technology experience with a proven track record of managing data center/technology infrastructure.
- Strong working knowledge of Cloud-based computing services or a hybrid thereof.
- Strong experience with vendor management of 3rd party outside service providers including contract negotiation.
- Proven track record of leading IT teams to accomplish organizational objectives
- Strong Networking background, Cisco experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of Windows server networks
- Strong knowledge of Azure AD/Office 365
- Experience with cybersecurity tools and risk analysis
- Common sense approach to developing technology to solve client issues.
- Strategic mindset with ability to collaborate and build relationships with different constituents.
- Change agent with solid communications and influencing skills.
- Ability to strategize, articulate and implement a long-term vision for technology’s role in enhancing the museum’s presence and offering.
- High aptitude for innovative thinking.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Possess progressive customer service orientation with both internal and external contacts.
- People management, recruiting, and team building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to apply appropriate communication techniques to various audiences.
- Ability to use a variety of professional management and/or technical concepts to solve complex problems.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.